Sustainable packaging is becoming a higher priority for all of us (producers, brands and consumers) – more now than ever before.
Turning to the ultimate decisive factor, the consumer, 8 in 10 consumers are trying to reduce their plastic waste and 50% would be willing to pay higher prices for eco-friendly packaging, according to a recent EU study, quoted by The Guardian newspaper.
The research by YouGov shows that 46% of people feel guilty about the amount of plastic they use, which is motivating them to consider changes in their behavior, including paying more for eco-friendly alternatives to plastic, which packaging manufacturing companies already provide.
What is sustainable and eco-friendly packaging?
Sustainable and eco-friendly packaging is packaging that, over time, reduces its environmental footprint.
This can happen in a number of ways:
- Through its ingredients: Using recycled or renewable materials
- Through the production process: By minimizing the production process, supply chain and carbon footprint
- Through reusability: Creating a circular economy around the packaging, extending its lifecycle and usability
BFG’s sustainable packaging and its benefits
Due to the fact that from 2021 the EU Directive 904/2019 will ban single-use plastic containers made of expended polystyrene, BFG has included in its range of products the most eco-friendly alternative: natural fiber products.
Natural fibers are renewable resources, biodegradable and compostable in a safe and healthy manner for the environment.
Due to their biodegradability, natural fiber products decompose relatively quickly and turn into compost. The compost may be used as nursery or fertilizer for new plants, and the cycle closes.
Fiber Products are an environmentally sustainable solution for food service and packaging disposables.
This range consists of:
Here are some of their main features:
- Natural fiber is the most ecological material currently used in the food industry, as it is completely biodegradable and compostable;
- It has no impact on food taste or flavor;
- It has good thermal properties;
- It’s also waterproof and oil-resistant;
- Packaging made from natural fiber can be used in microwaves and electric or gas-powered ovens.
Packaging made from natural fiber represents a very good alternative to polystyrene products as far as resistance and thermal properties are concerned.
Contact us for more details about alternative sustainable packaging adequate for your company’s needs!